Charlie Lily

Charlie Lily, Melbourne

by Glenn Reynolds

Day Spa Review

It was quite the challenge. I’d booked in for an eyebrow reshaping at CharlieLily but they were unaware of the difficulty that lay ahead.

Location and facilities
Located in the heart of corporate country in the North Rialto tower on Collins St, CharlieLily offer a range of tailored spa services to their surrounding marketplace. Taking the lift to the 2nd floor, I was reminded of the corporate design of the space when I requested to use the men’s room. It was shared, of course, off the central elevator foyer like many corporate office buildings. Charlie Lily is an intimate spa space, with a number of multi-purpose therapy rooms, alongside a naturopath office, nail station with great views through the adjacent glass wall, and a waxing/brow room.

One thing I love about the Charlie Lily spa is that you can view the timetable of your favourite spa therapist, and book them for your session. This is a great idea for nurturing client trust and building rapport with their therapist. The challenge for today was that I turned up for my brow shaping with a chunk taken out of my right brow. I’d had a skin cancer cut out last year, and this left a little space in my browline. My therapist took this challenge in her stride, with confidence that she could do a fantastic job, even with these limitations.

Quality of Spa Experience

Creating the basic structure of the eyebrow is performed using threading instead of waxing, a technique that is rapidly becoming a favourite of the beauty industry. Using a cotton thread, the therapist wraps it in a twist, and using a three-way tension created using mouth and hands, pulls the thread tight which engages the targeted hair and removes it in the threading twist. This is fairly painless, a lighter sensation than waxing, presumably because there are less hairs being removed at a time. The threading move is used numerous times over the shape of the brow, creating the structure that will be tidied up a little with tweezers later. A hint of toning, a light brush and you are on your way.

I found the technique quite intriguing as I’d never had a threading treatment before. It was lighter pain than waxing, but you need to use more movements to remove the same amount of hair. I was very impressed with the results. [therapist] managed to provide a great eyebrow shaping, working around the limitations with ease. As a guy, I didn’t want the final look to be too pretty, but … created a look with good balance and shape, but without going over the top.

Charlie Lily is perfectly positioned in the corporate district of Melbourne to offer a great range of spa services to the business public. The spa felt quite small, but they’ve managed to work the space available to them with great creativity.

Treatment:
Designer Brow Design
$95

Pros
Great therapist who used current technology to provide a balanced and professional brow shape.
Good use of limited spa space.
Useful booking system online

Cons
No integrated bathroom or change facilities. No water treatments.

Total: 15/20 “A niche spa in the corporate world that offers good value treatments to locals.”

Type of spa: Day Spa

“Tell them that you read it at Great Spa Search!”

Info:
Address: Level 2, North Rialto Tower 525 Collins St, Melbourne
Tel: 03 9078 6977 or 1300 CHARLIE (1300 242 754)
Email: info@CharlieLily.com.au
Web: www.charlielily.com.au
Make an online booking here

Wallet Rating:

Opening Hours:
Monday – Friday 7.30am – 7.30pm

*Please Note: This treatment was provided to us at no cost by Charlie Lily for the purposes of review. Although complimentary, this is no way affected the outcome of the review. Our policy is to inform readers of any services provided free of charge.

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Kristen June 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I absolutely swear by Charlie Lily. I have been coming here for over a year now. I get deep tissue massages on a regular basis to relieve tension and it works wonders. I also had eyebrow embroidery done, and the results are fantastic. Service is great and the ambiance of the center relaxes me amazingly. I would not go anywhere else! :)

Chloe July 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

After having a bad experience from another salon with my brows, I was recommended to try Charlie Lily. Finding this place wasn’t easy, like all Melbourne gems, I discovered it hidden amongst the corporate world in the Rialto Towers on Collins St. The staff were very professional and very understanding about how I wanted my brows to look. My eyebrows were patchy and a little uneven so it was hard to find a place that specialized in eyebrows. I’ve read up on eyebrow embroidery and found out that Charlie Lily does this – they really know their stuff. My brows are now even and fuller looking but very natural. They don’t just do your brows and send you away, the brow designers actually take the time to assess and measure your facial features so that no mistakes are made. Charlie Lily is about complete perfection! My brow designer did an amazing job and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. If you are looking to have the perfect brows with friendly but meticulous brow designers, I would recommend Charlie Lily.

Glenn Reynolds July 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hi Kristen and Chloe,
Thanks for your comments. It’s great to see them get such glowing recommendations. I have also experienced the Brow Designers at Charlie Lily and really enjoyed the treatment!

Anita July 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

i have always had massages as i suffer lower back pain although never was completely satisfied. I came to Charlie lily for a remedial massage and found the service professional and extremely beneficial. I have been coming regularly now and don’t ever get the severe pain i used too. Highly recommend Charlie lily!

Glenn Reynolds July 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi Anita,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your thoughts on Charlie Lily. Sounds like you are in sync with Chloe and Kristen! Glad you endorse their spa so avidly!

Mia July 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm

After suffering from a bulging disk in my lower back, I have been trying to find somewhere that specialised in deep tissue, remedial massage/myotherapy. After a great search, I found Charlie Lily hidden in the north tower of the Rialto on Collins St, Melbourne. I have been going there fortnightly for years now & the therapists are all very skilled in what they do. I was introduced to dry needling which has helped relieve a lot of the pressure. Now my lower back problems have dissipated and I feel great! I highly recommend Charlie Lily!

Miranda July 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Best High Performance Facial Ever!
6 months before my wedding, i was feeling depressed about the state of my skin. A friend recommended Charlie Lily after having her acne treated in the Rialto on Collins St, to have my pigmentation lifted with Retin-A, Vitamin C &B. The therapists are so switched on and up to date with the latest in clinical grade skin technology. I trust Charlie Lily with any condition my skin may have.

David Hale July 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I go to Charlie Lily on a weekly basis to manage my sciatica and for my overall wellness maintenance. I rotate between 3 therapists there; all 3 are very thorough and excellent at their work. I can claim with my health fund on the spot which is another added bonus. Thanks Charlie Lily- keep up the good work

Glenn Reynolds July 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your candid opinion! Sounds like a great experience.

Glenn Reynolds July 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hi Miranda,

Thanks for stopping by GreatSpaSearch.com and letting us know what you think about Charlie Lily!

Meg November 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I had never had my eyebrows threaded, so I did a search on Google and came across a website called designer brows (www.designerbrows.com.au). It was exactly what I was looking for and in the city right near Southern Cross station, so easy to get to! I booked my appointment online and received a confirmation email shortly after. I even received a reminder email 1 day prior to my appointment! I jumped on the train to Southern Cross and took a 5 min walk to the Rialto. When I arrived, the lifts were quite confusing so I asked the concierge desk how to get there. They were very friendly and directed me the right way. As soon as I arrived I was welcomed by a lovely girl and I was taken to a relaxation area and given herbal tea. Shortly after that I was greeted by my brow specialist who gave me a thorough consultation on what we could achieve. I was very excited as I only ever had quick eyebrow waxes at beauty salons. My therapist spent 30mins threading, tweezing, trimming and tinting my eyebrows into a full, slightly arched shape. I have never had so much care taken in my eyebrows, ever! I loved the threading as my skin is very sensitive to wax. I found that the threading did not irritate my skin at all! I was so excited to see perfect brows. Not only that, my whole face looked different! You don’t realise that great eyebrows are going lift your whole appearance! I rebooked my follow up appointment for one month after on a Saturday (which is very convenient as I work on week days), and I cannot wait to go back! I have had so many compliments on my brows. Thank you so much Charlie Lily!

Cressida Jackson May 21, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Eyebrow Embroidery (semi-permanent eyebrows)

I first visited Charlie Lily to have a designer brow design and I was very impressed with my therapists’ wealth of knowledge about eyebrows and in particular how important my eyebrows were. I’d never take my eyebrows so seriously before this day, although I was aware of their desperate need for professional brow sculpting. I’d plucked my brows for years (into the wrong, uneven and thin shape that I became stuck with). My therapist suggested eyebrow embroidery which are hair strokes drawn in using a feathering technique, lasting 2-3 years. I had the treatment done (I had 3 sessions) and I LOVE my new eyebrows! I now understand what it’s like to have perfect eyebrows.
Big thanks to Charlie Lily!

lily May 29, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Aspect Face Peel

I love Aspect peels and facial products and I like to have a good beautician who actually knows what she’s doing when it comes to my face. I would like to recommend the girls at Charlie Lily on Collins St, corner King St in the Rialto in Melbourne city, they are professional, they know what they are talking about and they are spot on with service. Charlie Lily also has an extensive Aspect product range and beautiful soy candles.

Alan Carter June 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm

MEN’S EYEBROW GROOMING

My eyebrows are always groomed to a tee at Charlie Lily. I go in, get my eyebrows groomed, no stress, no fuss and no looking like a chick. They know exactly what they’re doing at Charlie Lily, they’re reputable and I’m always leaving the place satisfied.

Sue September 12, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Remedial Massage – Cupping

I had a remedial massage at Charlie Lily and my therapist offered cupping therapy which uses glass suction cups that draw the blood through tense muscles and it helps the body to repair itself. I was very impressed with this treatment as I remember my (Mediterranean) grandmother using this technique using scotch glasses whenever we were sick and it always improved our strength. I have cupping therapy done at Charlie Lily once a fortnight to maintain my health and wellness and I rarely get sick.

Sue September 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

Paul September 18, 2014 at 11:47 am

Corporate Massage and Wellness

Our organisation has used the corporate massage and wellness services of Charlie Lily at our office for the past 6 years and during this time we have never had a single disappointment. The Charlie Lily wellness team are all very pleasant and professional, bringing their wonderful calm nature to the office. Everyone looks forward to Charlie Lily Day at work!

Cheryl M October 13, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Charlie Lily do the best brows in town, I have been coming here for quite some time now and I am still so happy with the results to this day! They provide the best service and advice for maintaining your eyebrows, couldn’t be happier =) Thank you!

Katie Fisher October 15, 2014 at 2:34 pm

LASH LIFT

I went to Charlie Lily in the city to have a lash lift done. I had very straight lashes and unlike the perm, the lift is so much more natural looking because it “lifts” as well as softly curls, my therapist was wonderful and knew exactly what she was doing. I’m so happy with the results! Thank you Charlie Lily :)

Alana Wall October 21, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Best remedial massage in town! Thanks to the CL crew for looking after me over the years. The best remedial massage treatments ever and I can claim on the spot with my health fund card.

Mary McDermot October 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I love getting my facials and facial peels done at Charlie Lily. The Aspect products work great on my sensitive skin and my skin has never looked better! The team is very friendly, professional and welcoming and I can’t wait until my next visit, Thank You!